3. The Vision & key Objectives of the Core Strategy
At the heart of the Core Strategy are its vision and its key objectives. These are important as they will set out clearly and succinctly what is most important about the Core Strategy. What are the most important things that it is trying to achieve? What are key priorities for the communities that make up Warwick District?
The Warwick District Local Plan has a vision which is set out on its first page. This vision was also contained within the first two Community Plans which were prepared for Warwick District (the "Community Plan 2001-2003" and "Warwick 2020"). This vision was:-
We want Warwick District to be Safe, Healthy, Fair and Prosperous, Now and into the Future.
As the Core Strategy and the Sustainable Community Strategy (SCS) are prepared in tandem, we want to take the opportunity to review this vision. Following the "Visioning Event" which took place in June 2007 (see above) to launch the Core Strategy and SCS, the following suggested vision has been proposed for further consideration.
Built on strong historic foundations in the heart of England.
Striving to improve further on its reputation as a great place to live, work, learn and visit.
A place where people are proud to belong and where there is the opportunity for everyone to share in the success of their community.*/ ?>
"Warwick District: Built on strong historic foundations in the heart of England. Striving to improve further on its reputation as a great place to live, work, and visit. Where our people are proud to belong and where everyone can share in the success of our community."
We would value your comments on this vision.
The key objectives of the Core Strategy
Following on from identifying a vision for the Core Strategy is the issue of what are our key objectives. What are the key priority objectives that should be guiding the policies of the Core Strategy?
The Warwick District Local Plan contains a series of key objectives. These were developed as the Local Plan was refined following two public consultations in 2003 and 2005. They form the basis upon which the policies in the Local Plan have been developed. We believe that it is useful to use these as a starting point for the Core Strategy, however we are keen to know whether you (a) still support these, (b) would wish them to be changed in any way and (c) feel that any further new objectives should be added.
The suggested objectives for the Council as we develop the Core Strategy are as follows:-
Maintaining a vibrant and prosperous district
- To maintain high levels of economic growth, including the regeneration of deprived areas
- To maintain and enhance our town centres
- To promote sustainable tourism
- To support rural communities
Protecting the District's key assets
- To protect and make best use of land
- To protect and enhance green spaces and the natural environment
- To protect and enhance the historic environment
- To maintain and enhance our landscapes and townscapes
- To promote high quality design
- To protect and improve air quality
Securing a more sustainable district
- To reduce the need to travel and promote the use of more sustainable travel options
- To limit the impact of the District upon climate change, particularly by:-
- encouraging new development to reduce energy and water consumption
- promote the use of renewable energy resources
- reducing the generation and disposal of waste.
Meeting the needs of the district
- To meet the housing needs of the whole community, including providing adequate affordable housing
- To reduce poverty, social exclusion, crime and anti-social behaviour
- To improve the health and well-being of residents
- To protect the amenity of local communities and protect and enhance accessibility to local services and facilities.